cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathaniel Alfred" <Alfred.Nathan...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 09:01:57 GMT
Why not keep the MVN repo in the Cocoon SVN repository like we used to
do with the lib directory?  That would allow close control of updates
only by committers, and with a MVN file repo pointing to the user's
Cocoon checkout, builds remain stable between SVN updates.

Sure that requires again 100+ MB downloads from SVN.  But that seems
more stable than downloading 20 MB from SVN only and then 80+ MB from
shakey MVN servers.

Cheers, Alfred.

-----Original Message-----
From: Upayavira [mailto:uv@odoko.co.uk]
Sent: Montag, 3. Juli 2006 10:42
To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....

Simone Gianni wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> What happens *if* Mergere runs out of juice and flip the switch off?
>>

> IIUC, maven repos are nothing more than HTTP servers, and SVN is
> accessible thru HTTP, so we can create a folder named "repository" in
> our svn repo, copy the folders of artifacts we need from ibiblio, and
> have complete control over it. This is technically possible (and would
> also solve maaaaaaaany other problems), but does not solve the legal
> stuff maven repos solve about redistributing others work.

A good idea, but I can't see any way in which infrastructure would allow
this.

That is because it would prevent any useful partitioning of resources.
Maven is likely to become a resource hog, and could easily bring SVN
down to its knees. Much better that it only be the MVN repo that goes
down at such a time, and not our SVN repo too.

Upayavira

the sender's company.