cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gavin Carothers <ga...@versionthis.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:15:59 GMT
On Jun 30, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> It's Friday, I'm tired and a bit depressed after losing about two more
> hours unsuccessfully trying to add OJB to the dependencies of the
> bricks-archetype example I'm working on (would have needed all of six
> minutes to do this with our old ant build).

It's Monday, and I'm starting to miss the "complexity" of the ant
build process. In short in trying to keep up to date with trunk I've
lost any chance I had of making progress for at least a few hours
from where I was at the end of last week. Something that very rarely
happened while I was keeping up to date with the 2.1.X branch, or
even trunk a year ago. The whole of todays progress and errors can be
found below.

I love maven. I love the whole idea of it. We use it here for our
other, non-cocoon, java projects. It is in theory perfect for cocoon
and it's massively complex dependancies. However, the lack of
progress I've been making it getting to the point where I can write
code for an application against 2.2 is disheartening. I only have a
few more days I can keep trying to get started with 2.2 before I go
back and use 2.1.9 for this project.

The fact that Bertrand hasn't been able to get this working either
worries me. The ant build scripts and setup used in his example
application form the basis of our own cocoon build system here. They
can be frustrating sometimes of course, but they, and the monolithic
cocoon build, do work. Another part of my frustration I'm sure comes
from simply not knowing how to fix things to get them working
anymore, but any change leads to that. My real worry with that is...
does anyone? Is someone using the mavenised cocoon build system today
not to just build cocoon, but an application that creates a war that
can be deployed in a web container?

Hopefully,
Gavin

Cocoon 2.2 Day 3

Today has not begun well. Having updated my local checkout of
cocoon's trunk, and run mvn clean install, the application that was
"working" at the end of last week no longer even starts. A large
number of spring warnings:

[INFO] XmlBeanDefinitionReader - Loading XML bean definitions from
resource loaded from byte array
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.scripting.config.LangNamespaceHandler]: class
not found
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.ejb.config.JeeNamespaceHandler]: class not found
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.transaction.config.TxNamespaceHandler]: class
not found
[INFO] XmlBeanDefinitionReader - Loading XML bean definitions from
URL [file:/Users/gcarothers/Documents/Programing/toc-manager/target/
toc-manager/WEB-INF/spring/cocoon-core-applicationContext.xml]
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.scripting.config.LangNamespaceHandler]: class
not found
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.ejb.config.JeeNamespaceHandler]: class not found
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.transaction.config.TxNamespaceHandler]: class
not found
[INFO] XmlBeanDefinitionReader - Loading XML bean definitions from
URL [file:/Users/gcarothers/Documents/Programing/toc-manager/src/main/
resources/META-INF/spring/demo-application-context.xml]
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.scripting.config.LangNamespaceHandler]: class
not found
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.ejb.config.JeeNamespaceHandler]: class not found
[INFO] DefaultNamespaceHandlerResolver - Ignoring handler
[org.springframework.transaction.config.TxNamespaceHandler]: class
not found

and ending with:
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.cocoon.core.CoreUtil.getRootLogger()Lorg/apache/avalon/
framework/logger/Logger;
         at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init
(CocoonServlet.java:126)

 From the mailing lists I know there were large changes to the
Servlet for cocoon. Which I assume is the reason I can't find a
CocoonServlet.java file anywhere in the source tree. So, I guess even
after rerunning mvn install my local repository must have an old copy
of the code somewhere, no idea what else might cause this.

rm -rf .m2/repository/

Of course I now have to download all the dependencies and even basic
maven plugins again. There should be a better way.

Back in the cocoon source directory:

mvn install -Dmaven.test.skip=true

Need to run this 6 or 7 times to get all the plugins from:
apache.snapshots (http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)

I will point out that we can't blame ibiblio for those. Two of them
are from my understanding hosted by Apache.

Another N times to get all the poms and jars from:
central (http://ibiblio.org/maven2),
apache.snapshots (http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
apache.snapshot (http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository),
apache-cvs (http://svn.apache.org/repository)

At this point I admit I'm starting to miss the "complexity" of the
ant build.

I also wasn't all that inspired by the following:

Downloading: http://svn.apache.org/repository/xreporter/jars/
xreporter-expression-r672.jar
88K downloaded
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'e88adacaa9a6a3c23b835da10f2a787b637f89e1'; remote = 'SHA1' - RETRYING
Downloading: http://svn.apache.org/repository/xreporter/jars/
xreporter-expression-r672.jar
88K downloaded
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'e88adacaa9a6a3c23b835da10f2a787b637f89e1'; remote = 'SHA1' - IGNORING

still downloading more jars about 2 hours after having started the
process... starting to think of a way to shell script the restart of
mvn install.