cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] New processor interface/approach
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:40:16 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Often you are going to need the servlet configuration and/or context
>> and then you are back on the Servlet interface again. OTH, having a
>> Servlet as a managed component is slightly complicated as one need to
>> keep track on both its life cycle as a managed component and as a
>> servlet. I guess we will see which way that is best to go when you
>> have implemented a little bit more.
>
> IMO that should be servlets, which allow for many other things (and not
> only Cocoon) to be integrated in a container. Being able to manage
> servlets means we're able to manage anything and can also benefit
> from/share with other people's work in this domain.

Hmm, not sure if this is necessary. Imho it should not be the concern of
Cocoon to
manage other servlets. So if you want to integrate something else which
is a servlet, you can use the request dispatcher and leave the rest to
the servlet container.

My idea with the processor interface was to say that Cocoon provides you
usable *components*. You can just lookup these components and use them
which is in the end easier than using servlets - now the difference is
very subtle I agree. But it might be that we need an interface which
differs in some aspects to the servlet later on.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/