cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incorrect link in forms documentation
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:20:13 GMT
Niels van Kampenhout wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Niels van Kampenhout wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm. I understand from Arje that the documentation I refered to in my
>>> post is outdated and not updated anymore. The latest documentation
>>> apparently is at cocoon.zones.apache.org. To be honest, I was under
>>> the impression that the docs @ cocoon.apache.org are the latest from
>>> Daisy...
>>

>> This is incorrect. The published docs are the ones from Daisy. There
>> is a time lag between them being edited and them being published. How
>> long that lag is depends on when someone is able to publish them.
>>
>> The docs from Daisy are built once a day by the Forrestbot, see [1].
>> These are not intended to be read by users, but are there so that devs
>> can verify the latest version of the docs before they are published to
>> the site.
>>
>> As for a link to the latest devlopment version of a doc in daisy, take
>> a look at the bottom of any page in the docs collection where you will
>> see the following text and link:
>>
>> "Errors and Improvements?  If you see any errors or potential
>> improvements in this document please help us:  View, Edit or comment
>> on  the latest development version (registration required)."
>

> Oops, sorry, I was misinformed and didn't bother to check myself :-(
>
> Thanks for the clarification! Still I find it a bit confusing that there
>  three publicly available URLs with potentially three different versions
> of the Cocoon documentation.

How is it different from maintaing docs sources in SVN? In this case we
would have a location for the sources (SVN), a location for the staging
docs (local directory or a staging server) and a location for the public
docs (web).

The way I see it is:

Dev docs in daisy are equivalent to svn sources (i.e for the devs)

Forrest zone (or locally created docs) are equivalent to locally created
docs from svn sources. These are for QA

Published site is no different and is fo rthe end user.

Ross