cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:49:46 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> It depends on how you use them as to the best solution here. I assume
> that they are customised for cocoon, so they shouldn't be considered
> to be the same as the original. In that case, I'd suggest you release
> them under your own groupID (maybe org.apache.cocoon.thirdparty) so
> that they don't conflict (bearing in mind that someone will
> transitively receive both that and the original if they are both
> used). I'm assuming this isn't the case as you are only bundling these
> modified versions into a distributable app, not as part of a reusable
> component?
>
> Hope this helps,
> Brett

Actually, I'm not exactly sure why non-released jars are currently
included, but I'm almost certain that in most cases it is not because it
is customized for Cocoon. In looking in our latest 2.1.9 release (which
isn't built with Maven) I see that jcs, chaperon, jackrabbit, deli,
dojo, jing, joost, myfaces, poi, wsrp4j, xmldb and xreporter were all
included in the release from some interim version that is probably
unknown to those projects.  I suspect for many of them this was done
because they included critical fixes.  Since Cocoon contains so many
third party jars we would either have to make releases knowing that some
things are broken or never put out a release.

However, your point about naming them o.a.c.thirdparty is well taken (at
least by me).  A complaint I frequently have had is that it is often
difficult to locate the exact source that was used to create the jar.
Sometimes they are named with the svn revision with makes it easy.
Sometimes they have a datestamp, which isn't necessarily guaranteed to
get you the exact source, and sometimes they have a name like
wsrp4j-shared-0.3-dev.jar (wsrp4j is in inclubator and I don't believe
it has ever done a release, but this version number is really bad since
there is no tag in svn matching 0.3-dev that I can see). In wsrp4j's
case, I'm fairly sure Cocoon's usage of it is considered experimental -
it gives users a way to have early access to it for experimentation
purposes.

Ralph