cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:12:25 GMT

Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> Yes you can, it's not the best way to do it but you can, by adding
> explicitly the dependency with the versoin you want to your pom. In
> the very worst case you have to add all transitive deendencies to your
> pom, like in Maven 1.
That is so impractical as to be nonsensical. Our Configuration
Management folks require that all projects use the same dependencies
from the top to the bottom. For example, we build our base set of
frameworks with one multiproject build, then a higher level of
frameworks, and then finally the product itself. Each of these must be
built and unit tested with the same third party jars. Furthermore, the
product can consist of a war and one or more ejb's which may all be
packaged in an ear. These must also all have all the same versions of
the jars. The solution you propose makes that tedious, error prone, and
would require our CM folks to manually inspect every pom to insure
nothing is done improperly. At least with Maven 1 we can have a
build.properties that all projects share.  In our case, the ideal
solution in Maven 2 would be to have a "master" pom with nothing in it
but a dependencyManagement section (with something like override="true"
set as an attribute) that all our projects would reference.

Ralph