cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:41:53 GMT
Simone Gianni wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>
>> What happens *if* Mergere runs out of juice and flip the switch off?
>>

> IIUC, maven repos are nothing more than HTTP servers, and SVN is
> accessible thru HTTP, so we can create a folder named "repository" in
> our svn repo, copy the folders of artifacts we need from ibiblio, and
> have complete control over it. This is technically possible (and would
> also solve maaaaaaaany other problems), but does not solve the legal
> stuff maven repos solve about redistributing others work.

A good idea, but I can't see any way in which infrastructure would allow
this.

That is because it would prevent any useful partitioning of resources.
Maven is likely to become a resource hog, and could easily bring SVN
down to its knees. Much better that it only be the MVN repo that goes
down at such a time, and not our SVN repo too.

Upayavira