cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 04:16:47 GMT

Tim Williams wrote:
> The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Principle.  Ant has just worked
> in the past, I wasn't around or probably smart enough to understand
> why the move to maven but I can say from a user perspective it "don't
> work".  I'm over at forrest and, for learning purposes, like to
> maintain a buildable trunk of Cocoon.  That has been impossible since
> the move to maven.  I obviously understand that progress happens in
> the face of this principle, but there are some cases where it should
> be respected.
Actually, this is a good point.  It was broken and the move to Maven was
(and is) an attempt to fix it.  Requiring a source download of Cocoon
and for end user's to perform their own configuration and build was (and
still is) seen as unacceptable by many of us.  Furthermore, every Maven
"customer" has their own way of creating their own Cocoon-based webapp
because there just isn't a good standard way of doing it with Ant.
Maven, when it works correctly, will fix this.

Ralph