cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:36:52 GMT

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> I didn't realize it before this week, but if we don't allow this we
> force our users to put all of their dependencies in Maven.
>
> OTOH, if people can add their own jars in the plain old way, they
> benefit from the M18n of Cocoon (assuming it works...) without having
> to learn much about it. The suits would say "win-win" at this point.
>
> -Bertrand
Not really.  I'd put money down that user's will go crazy trying to
figure out why the jar they put in the lib directory isn't being used -
or why Cocoon doesn't run properly because it is being used.  With a
multi-project framework/product like Cocoon you need to insure that
everything gets built with the same versions and that is what gets used
at runtime.  Unfortunately, Maven 2 doesn't really provide a good way to
do that yet (Maven 1 does though).   Remember, ideally the end user will
build a single block with a pom.xml. It will depend on some Cocoon
blocks (i.e. a pom.xml with transitive dependencies and a jar) and
perhaps some other things.  So when all these parts get put together
they need to have been built with the same stuff or nothing is
guaranteed to work correctly.

Ralph