cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:27:44 GMT
We've been using Maven 1 successfully for a couple of years.  We want to
upgrade to Maven 2 but can't until I (or someone) fixes
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1577.
<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1577> However, I suspect that we
would be having the same problems as the Cocoon builds are currently
experiencing if we were always trying to go to an external repository.
I've even seen this with our local repository if the web server is
having problems.

Rather than packaging a "lib" directory, it would make more sense to me
if we had a downloadable maven repository that contains only what is
needed to build Cocoon. This could then be used to set up the internal
repository.  Unfortunately, this doesn't solve all the problems as every
time some new component is required the internal repository doesn't
automatically get updated.

I know in my case our Configuration Management folks have come to love
Maven and the repository concept as it gives them total control over
when the third party components are updated.

Ralph