cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 09:51:47 GMT
I totally agree with Bertrand that using m2 really sucked up a lot of
our time which we could have better used on real development.

Especially the unpredictable results and the not reproduciable builds
are imho a real problem. You build today, it works, you build tomorrow
and it does not. And this occurs on some machines even if nothing has
changed and even if you build in offline mode! Which is really really
strange.

Now, m2 is theoretically a very good tool :) It seems that most problems
occur because of weak poms in the repositories we are using and that
people are updating poms in the repositories without changing the
version number. In addition we have problems with snapshots we are
depending on as they are not available in public repositories.

I really would like to avoid switching to another build system being
this ant or whatever because we invested a lot of time and energy into
the m2 build and we now have some nice maven plugins for deployment and
so on.

Without thinking about the bandwidth problem this might create, but what
about settings up a Cocoon M2 repository where we host all our
dependencies and this is the default repository you're using when you're
developing with Cocoon.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea, because of bandwidth and perhaps
legal issues and it might create confusion when it comes to find out
what's the difference between a version hosted in our repository and the
one hosted on the official one is.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/