cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:24:07 GMT
On 7/5/06, Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > Yes you can, it's not the best way to do it but you can, by adding
> > explicitly the dependency with the versoin you want to your pom. In
> > the very worst case you have to add all transitive deendencies to your
> > pom, like in Maven 1.
> That is so impractical as to be nonsensical. Our Configuration
> Management folks require that all projects use the same dependencies
> from the top to the bottom. For example, we build our base set of
> frameworks with one multiproject build, then a higher level of
> frameworks, and then finally the product itself. Each of these must be
> built and unit tested with the same third party jars. Furthermore, the
> product can consist of a war and one or more ejb's which may all be
> packaged in an ear. These must also all have all the same versions of
> the jars. The solution you propose makes that tedious, error prone, and
> would require our CM folks to manually inspect every pom to insure
> nothing is done improperly. At least with Maven 1 we can have a
> build.properties that all projects share.  In our case, the ideal
> solution in Maven 2 would be to have a "master" pom with nothing in it
> but a dependencyManagement section (with something like override="true"
> set as an attribute) that all our projects would reference.

so... you can do it.
In m1 anybody can override the build.properties as in m2 they can put
a different version.

i'm not saying it's the right solution but while is not implemented
you can still do it. There's a limited number of hours in the day to
do all the things we want to do ;)

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.