cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: StatusGenerator.java extended
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:43:22 GMT

> StatusGenerator?

> >> database connection pools, or first try to add this one as well?
> >>
> >> Wouldn't a JMX bean be of much more value?
> >>

> > Yes it would be very nice to have, but does it not imply that all
> > interfaces should be adjusted to what they expose?
>
> Well, normally you will have different interfaces for a MBeans
> (management) than for your components (system design/architecture)
> because the MBean interface reflects the manageability of a
> implementation whereas the component interface reflects a
> design aspect
> of a system part. As an example take the Store interface. For a
> DiskStore you'd probably have different manageability
> requirements than
> for a MemoryStore. But both implement the same design interface which
> has method you really don't want to see on a JMX-Console (i.e.
> store(key,value)) because they don't make much sense there.
>
> There are tools to automatically create MBeans out of components but
> those I personally never had good results with them because of the
> reasons I explained above.
>
> > Is it not a little out of scope at the moment?
>
> What scope are you referring to?

The scope about my knowledge of MBeans and that I thought it would mean adjusting many interfaces,
but as you explained above, this is not necessary.

> > And does it not require java 1.5..?
>
> No, JMX is available back to Java 1.3 IIRC (i.e. MX4J).
>
> For 2.1.X I remember having made JMX support available but
> could find it
> anymore (just the jetty config in
> tools/jetty/conf/main-jmx.xml). Has it
> been removed?

I found you committing JMXUtils to the trunk but can not find it back in the trunk:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cocoon-cvs/200512.mbox/%3C20051225162241.87544.qmail@minotaur.apache.org%3E

> For 2.2 with Spring you almost get JMX for free.

For now, as Antonio suggested, I will send in my patch with respect to the continuations.
I hope to have time in short notice to explore the MBeans more.

Regards Ard