cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Gianni <s.gia...@thebug.it>
Subject Re: Build error in 2.2
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:23:37 GMT
Hi Carsten,
I had the same problem while testing it before committing our solution.
I solved it DELETING the plugin folder in the maven repo. It should be
in ~/.m2/org/apache/maven/plugins/.... . I tried running with -up to
force maven to update the plugin, but it didn't. On Maurizio's computer
there was no problem at all. I'm using maven 2.0.2 while Maurizio 2.0.4.

Have no idea if forcing the plugin version is a good idea, a bad idea,
and/or a definitive solution to the problem :(

Also note that this solution is a work around for non-mavenized
projects, a result of the following issues :
- Dojo is not mavenized
- Dojo will probably never turn to maven
- Mavenizing dojo was not an option sice :
... We don't mavenize everything around :)
... Our dojo version is a trimmed version, so should be mavenized as
"cocoon-dojo"
... We would end up setting on the maven repository, under apache name,
something which is not apache
... Other projects could then link to "our" dojo and would be a mess.

We should think of a reusable approach to the problem, since we'll
encounter other dependencies which are not mavenized and that we cannot
mavenize. Maybe we could write a plugin like "unmavenized-dependency",
that does more or less what the current ant script does (unzip a zip
file, or place a jar in a certain position), taking the zip/jar file
from an old style "lib" folder.

Options emerged during the hackathon were :
- Produce a local repository, in our svn tree, and "mavenize" there the
dependencies :
... PRO : solves the build problem, solves some legal problems (BTW, IANAL)
... CON : we are afterall mavenizing other projects, our artifacts on
maven will depend on the presence of this local repository.
- Have cocoon-X artifacts on maven repository
... PRO : solves the build problem
... CON : we are mavenizing other projects, there are some legal issues,
there is an ethical issues in sending on ibiblio not apache stuff.
- Use a solution as the one we used here
... PRO : all of above, we are not mavenizing
... CON : it's a bit untidy sice uses ant inside maven, if used in many
places there could be a cut and paste nightmare.

Simone

--
Simone Gianni