cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Time based release cylces
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:52:54 GMT
Reinhard Poetz skrev:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>> I have no problem with this release as a first step, but I'd
>>> hesitate to even call it 2.2M1.  OTOH, if I had an idea of what our
>>> subsequent milestones are this might make more sense to me.
>>>

>> Good point! Now, if you something label milestone or beta people have a
>> specific expectation. I don't think we meet these expectations, so I
>> would suggest calling this release alpha.
>
> Before we decide what we call the releases exactly I want to draw our
> attention to a decision we made long time ago. We agreed that we want
> to change to time-based release cycles instead of the feature-driven
> releases we had up to now which wasn't helpful in becoming more agile.
>
> Taking this into consideration I think we can stick with giving our
> releases the "milestone" postfix. The name "milestone" only says that
> another period of development is over ("time-boxing").
>
> We only need to decide how long the periods between releases should
> be. I guess this will highly depend on the module. The most important
> modules (e.g. cocoon-core, cocoon-forms, cocoon-template,
> cocoon-javaflow, the archetypes, the deployment plugin) should be
> released every 4 weeks, other modules every 3 months and there will be
> modules that will only be released if required. Additionally we should
> coordinate the release cycles so that at least twice a year, we
> release everything at the same time (IIUC the Eclipse project wants to
> make this happen for their universe with the "Callisto" initiative).

+1

I would however suggest that we follow the example from Eclipse and have
a milestone release every 6:th week instead of every 4:th. Considering
that we probably want to discourage large changes and encourage testing
the week before each release it gives us the possibility to develop 5/6
of the time instead of 3/4.

/Daniel