cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Time based release cylces
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:48:41 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>>I have no problem with this release as a first step, but I'd hesitate to
>>even call it 2.2M1.  OTOH, if I had an idea of what our subsequent
>>milestones are this might make more sense to me.
>>

> Good point! Now, if you something label milestone or beta people have a
> specific expectation. I don't think we meet these expectations, so I
> would suggest calling this release alpha.

Before we decide what we call the releases exactly I want to draw our attention
to a decision we made long time ago. We agreed that we want to change to
time-based release cycles instead of the feature-driven releases we had up to
now which wasn't helpful in becoming more agile.

Taking this into consideration I think we can stick with giving our releases the
"milestone" postfix. The name "milestone" only says that another period of
development is over ("time-boxing").

We only need to decide how long the periods between releases should be. I guess
this will highly depend on the module. The most important modules (e.g.
cocoon-core, cocoon-forms, cocoon-template, cocoon-javaflow, the archetypes, the
deployment plugin) should be released every 4 weeks, other modules every 3
months and there will be modules that will only be released if required.
Additionally we should coordinate the release cycles so that at least twice a
year, we release everything at the same time (IIUC the Eclipse project wants to
make this happen for their universe with the "Callisto" initiative).

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc