cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [2.2] Release?
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:07:58 GMT

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> So this means we release some jars and the plugins? I think one
>> important goal of this
>> release should be to get feedback, so we should try to make the barrier
>> to test 2.2 as low as possible while puttint as less effort as possible
>> into it. I'm not sure if just releasing maven artifacts is enough here.
>
> Which kind of feedback do you want?
> I think we need feedback from people that migrate their projects to
> C22. I don't believe it makes sense to use C22 without a Maven 2 based
> build. And, as I said in many previous mails, a distribution that can
> be compared to a C21 release has its only purpose in being a demo
> application, nothing more.
I suspect that Carsten didn't understand what you were saying as this
sentence, "I don't think that we should only provide Maven artifacts for
our first release, nothing more." would lead one to believe that you do
NOT want to ship anything regarding maven 2.

> So yes, I think that the named artifacts are enough for a first
> release. Releasing forms, fop, javaflow, apples, batik, mail and
> portal should be the next step so that more people can start to
> experiment with a migration. During this phase we should fix their
> samples too.
>
> Finally, we don't have to provide *one* release that contains all our
> 50+ blocks anymore. Luckily we can release iterativly whenever
> something is ready :-)
I have no problem with this release as a first step, but I'd hesitate to
even call it 2.2M1.  OTOH, if I had an idea of what our subsequent
milestones are this might make more sense to me.

Ralph