cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GT2006] Call for ideas part 1: summary
Date Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:41:01 GMT
Arje Cahn wrote:
> Hi Cocoon-dev,
>
> Below is a summary of ideas that I received on my first GT2006 email.
> I'm quite surprised that some of them actually suggest to skip the public talks, or at
least to focus
> even stronger on the Hackaton.
>
> Also, I'm suprised that I got *no* response from the cocoon-users list (naive as I am
:) ).

> I'm a little bit worried that the Cocoon GetTogether is becoming too much of a Cocoon
DEV-Together...
> Wouldn't it be good from a community point of view if we open up a little and target
1 whole day to
> the cocoon-users? This is something I could ask the Users list. Hopefully we can then
lower the barrier
> for people to come to the GetTogether and get involved in Cocoon.

What about a special "meet the Cocoon devs" session? I know that the whole
Hackathon is open for everybody but a special session could be an explicit
invitation for users. This session should be moderated and the topics come from
the participating non-committers.

> I think we could use the GetTogether much
> more as a "marketing" event for Cocoon. Pretty much all of the Cocoon core developers
show up - why not
> do shorter, flashier presentations of what you can achieve with Cocoon, right from the
core developers??

yes, there could be a session with "kowledge flashes". This could lower the
barrier for people (like me) to prepare something as doing a one-hour talk needs
a lot of preparation, a 5 to 10 minutes presentation is much simpler.

> Add 2 days of Hackaton, with more informal in-depth talks as last year's Cocoon internals.
>
> Apart from all that, I've been so free to make a reservation at the Felix Meritis venue
where we held the
> Hackaton last year. For three whole days:
>
> Monday 2nd, Tuesday 3rd and Wednesday 4th of October, from 9AM to 11PM :)
>
> This is by no means definitive! But I think Felix Meritis had a good vibe (more like
the Ghent venue!).

yes, Felix Meritis is great

> I've reserved both the Hackaton "Moshpit" and the really nice "Zuilenzaal", which can
hold up to 100-200
> people, depending on the setting. This makes us much more flexible. It would even be
an option to
> rent both rooms during the Talks day, so we end up with a three day hackaton + public
talks :)

This means there is no day that is explicitly dedicated to public talks, right?
Personally, I like this idea as it is ways more productive. My favorite event
last year was the "guided tour" through Cocoon when I interviewed Carsten and
Sylvain about the internals.

                                         - o -

If we "only" have a Hackathon + public talks we should make sure that we still
have things like a speical website and some kind of offical program as many
people coming from companies need this to convince their bosses and to justify
the expenses.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc