cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon 2.2 Maven based build
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 18:22:54 GMT

Ralph Goers wrote:

> 0. Download and install maven version 2.0.4 or later.
> 1. Create a pom.xml listing the appropriate Cocoon blocks you will be
> using.  The pom.xml files for all Cocoon blocks specify their
> dependencies so other blocks will also be included as required.
> 2. Create a "normal" web application structure. In the WEB-INF directory
> create an xconf subdirectory and a configuration file to contain all
> your application specific configuration items which are not
> automatically provided by the included blocks.  Sitemap components
> should also be configured there.
> 3. Create the sitemaps necessary for your application.
> 4. Run "maven war:exploded".  This will create the cocoon web
> application. It will automatically invoke the Cocoon block plugin to
> integrate the required Cocoon blocks into your web application.
>
> WDOT?

steps 1..3 can be done in an archetype to make things even easier. The
root pom could contain all blocks commented out, initially the user
would just uncomment the ones he needs - just to get things working
initially. We could precreate the xconf dirs and put some examples there
on how to get things done.

Note that archetypes were suffering from several pesky limitations a few
months ago,  i think they're due for another round of evaluation now.

Other than that i fully agree with your email, it's how things were
intented to work more or less. Reinhard's block deployer has never been
far off achieving what you describe here.

Jorg