cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralph Goers" <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying setup
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 16:05:32 GMT
Thanks for the link Daniel.  I took a look at it and reread your original
email.  Parts of it I think are good ideas but I have one major concern.
I think it is a bad idea to architect things such that the CocoonServlet
will not run unless some ServletContextListener has previously run.
However, I have no problem at all with allowing for
ServletContextListeners to override or extend default behaviors though.

I've been working a lot with Jetspeed lately. It uses Spring for darn near
everything. However, it doesn't seem to use the approach discussed below.
Rather, they just have an assembly directory with a whole bunch of
configuration files.  It seems you can just add your own file to the
directory to add whatever behaviors you want.  I guess I prefer that
behavior over having to modify the web.xml (actually, I hate modifying the
web.xml).

As for getting rid of the Cocoon object and your other suggestions, I
don't have any real concern there.  Actually, I'd prefer a main servlet
that gets a Spring configuration and then just hands off control to a
component configured there.  But that might make it all even harder to
understand since it would then be very loosely coupled.

Ralph