cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralph Goers" <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying setup
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 22:44:52 GMT

Daniel Fagerstrom said:
> Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>> <snip rt/>
>> I'm mostly fine with your proposed changes if you think that this helps
>> Cocoon. In the end all changes that don't require to rewrite or change
>> our current blocks are fine for me.
>
> It will mean some changes for the portal block as it use the Cocoon
> component and the same complicated setup as the the CocoonServlet.
> Geting a component container that is setup by a servlet context listener
> through the portlet context should work fine a simplify the portlet
> setup as well.

Please provide an example of what this would look like.  I really need to
understand how this will simplify anything.

>> But I'm remaining very sceptical wrt to a 2.2 release in general. I
>> think one of our main goals is currently out of focus: release early,
>> release often. This has nothing to do with this RT specifically, I just
>> wanted to use this thread as a reminder to focus on a release :)
>
> My personal goal is to release a blocks based Cocoon. But if anyone want
> to release something from trunk earlier, I'm fine with that. I just
> don't see any activity in that direction.

While true, it is unfortunate.  Switching to Maven 2 for building projects
is a lot less scary than switching from 2.1 to an OSGi based system. That
doesn't make it bad, but it may make the resistance to adopt it high.  I
believe that is why it was recommended at the gettogether that the focus
be on delivering trunk with Maven 2 by the end of the year and then
focusing on "real blocks".   At least, that is what I remember hearing.

> The important differences between 2.1 and trunk is in the cocoon-core,
> and as long as it is as complicated as it is today, only a few people
> understand it well enough to be able to work on it. So refactorings that
> make the core easier to understand and less monolithic will make it
> easier for more people to get involved, which IMO should increase the
> chance for a release.

For me, this remains to be seen.  Moving stuff from cocoon's core to OSGi
doesn't make it any less complicated. It just makes it a different set of
things to understand.  And unless you are getting rid of caching,
pipelines, etc. there is still a lot of Cocoon specific stuff to
understand.

Frankly, if trunk was completely working with Maven 2 I'd be all over it
trying to get it into production. But since it has been in sandbox mode
for so long, I've focused completely on 2.1 as that is what my employer
will be using until trunk gets in a mode where I trust it.  And I don't
see much point in learning how trunk works until it stabilizes.

Ralph