cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Naumov <igornau...@yahoo.com>
Subject HSQLDB shutdown
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 06:39:39 GMT
I think this has been discussed before and I even have seen some patches
suggested back in 2002, but I am using 2.1.9 and still have problems
with HSQLDB not shutting down properly.

I am running Cocoon 2.1.9 on SAP NetWeaver J2EE server and when I stop
the application, HSQLDB server apparently exits (no listener on port 9002),
but the database's lock file remains locked. Then if I start the
application again, the database cannot start (apparently because of the
lock), unless I restart the whole J2EE engine.
If I remember correctly, I also tried it on WebSphere with a similar effect.

The only way around it that I've found is to get a connection to the
database inside org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.ServerImpl.stop method
and execute a "SHUTDOWN" query (not the server's shutdown method - does
not work).
Then the database is unlocked and it comes up normally when the
application is started again.

The must be a more elegant way to shutdown the database, but it looks
like the shutdown query has to be executed anyway, the question is where
is the most appropriate place for it.

Igor