cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automatic releases
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 10:40:28 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 29 May 2006 16:24, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>Having a "-SNAPSHOT"-dependency is not an option for several reasons
>>(snapshots are changing, you can't release your own artifacts if you depend
>>on snapshots).
>

> I agree myself that this is a common "problem".
>

>>So what are the possible solutions:
>>
>>a) Everybody learns to run the release plugin and produces artifacts
>>himself and can deploy them to his own repositories. Question (to Jorg): Is
>>this possible at all (IIUC the release plugin automatically tags your
>>release in SVN)? And if yes, how difficult is it?
>

> I have also noticed (for instance for artifacts I need from Felix) that
> release:prepare will fail, unless you have commit access to the SVN.
>

>>b) Find an automated way (note: I don't write "automatic release") to
>>produce unoffical artifacts like
>>"cocoon-core-2.2-r434343-NIGHTLY-BUILD.jar".
>

> I am curious to know how this is different from the "changing snapshot" that
> is a problem mentioned above. IIUIC, both are temporary and will disappear in
> due time, so the only difference would be the name itself.

The difference is that the release plugin will recognize this name as a normal,
valid dependency and you can use it *at your own risk*. If somebody really
consider using such artifacts, he also has to make sure that he puts them into a
local repository as they will disappear; though, using maven-proxy-repository
automatizes this if you want.

> I don't have the answer how it should be dealt with. I think the closes you
> can do is that the Continuum build output is copied into an area, either on
> the cocoon zone or to cocoondev, which is not official and even some big
> disclaimers that it is not official.

yes, I was thinking into this direction too.

> Please observe that Apache Legal@ may have some comment of this, still. I
> suggest that there is a check with legal-discuss@apache.org before going down
> this route.

yes, when we know that it works at all, I will follow your advice. thanks.

Having my Cocoon PMC member hat on, I have another problem with Maven artifacts:
They don't contain licensing information or a NOTICE file. As in the future,
Maven artifacts will be our actual releases (everything else is just for demos),
I'm not sure if this is legally correct.
Does anybody know of some discussions? Usually I'm following
legal-discuss@apache but can't recall of a thread dealing with this problem.

WDYT?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc