cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Craeg Strong <cstr...@arielpartners.com>
Subject Re: Pattern for use of sub-pipelines to grab content at different stages?
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 16:59:49 GMT

Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> On 5/24/06, Craeg Strong <cstrong@arielpartners.com> wrote:
>>   After all, XHTML is just XML, why shouldn't some of it be cached??
>
> It can be, just be aware that it's cache validity is only as good as
> the cache validity of the pipelines that feed it...
Yeap, got it.  My mental model is correct I think.
However, as you point out I need to do some testing to see if and when
such caching actually saves any time.

As a silly example, say a transformer produced a chunk of XHTML with
hundreds of lines of embedded CSS and javascript.
If that XHTML can be cached with a non-trivial lifetime, you save time
with the memory allocation alone.

> As an aside; check out using Saxon and XSLTC for other performance
> improvements and maybe check out using Stylus (or similar) to optimize
> your XSLT...
Yes, we are using Stylus profiler right now, as a matter of fact.
Can't use XSLTC, because we make use of EXSLT extensions, in particular
evaluate() which gives us key flexibility.
We are looking into switching to Saxon.  However, I heard that recent
releases of Xalan have closed the previously significant performance gap..?

--Craeg