cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flowscript in Spring
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 20:58:42 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> On 18 May 2006, at 13:04, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> FYI: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=40522
>
> ??? Isn't Spring supposed to be a container manager a-la Avalon ???

The component container is the original Spring, which has grown a lot to
be more a galaxy of subprojects. Spring has the container, lots of
components and helper classes (kindof Excalibur) and even a webapp MVC
framework and a page-flow engine named webflow.

This JS webflow doesn't seem to be part of the official Spring project,
and is a reaction to the huge pile of XML that's needed to use webflow.
The result is really Cocoon's flowscript adapted to a different
environment [1], just like there's already has been Struts-flow [2].

Once again, our ideas are reused. We can be proud to have opened new
ways in webapp development, but it would be better if our components
rather than our ideas were reused, and unfortunately this really isn't
easy because of the very specific APIs used in Cocoon's foundations,
that once weere so useful but now seem like a ball and chain...

Sylvain

[1] http://rhinoinspring.sourceforge.net/webflow.html
[2] http://struts.apache.org/struts-sandbox/struts-flow/

--