cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: CocoonTask
Date Thu, 18 May 2006 13:48:07 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> I was going through the list of dependencies because I was wondering why we have

>> Ant artifacts in our web applications. I found the cause which is the CocoonTask

>> and the question is, what we want to do with it. As IMO it shouldn't be part of
>> a Cocoon core, I see two options:
>>
>>   - create a "cocoon-ant" module
>>   - remove it
>>
>> BTW, is it supposed to work with Cocoon 2.2 at all?
>>
> I guess it's currently not working anyway. Personally I see no real need
> in a cocoon ant task, so I would vote for removing it. There is forrest
> anyway.

It likely isn't working, and would need the same attention as the CLI.

I don't agree with the 'there is forrest' argument, as Forrest should be
using the Ant task rather than calling the CLI.

The Cocoon Ant task is really a better way of using the CLI. So by
saying there's no need for the Ant task, you're effectively also saying
there's no need for the CLI either. (Now that may well be true, wget and
all, but that's a different discussion).

However, moving it into a separate module makes sense, as both CLI and
Ant are definitely not the main use-cases for Cocoon.

In the end, if no-one is prepared to update it, then it would be better
removed. And I'm not going to be in a position to update it myself.

Regards, Upayavira