cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Configuration issues
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 11:05:25 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>>How does OSGi solve this?
>>
>>Since OSGi4 declarative services are supported. Think of Spring dependency
>>injection but considering interface/implementation relations. You can use the
>>OSGi configuratonAdmin service to change an injected component or a component's
>>properties.
>
> Ok, but this is then configuration at runtime and not at development
> time, right? Where are those values stored?

I will let you know as soon as I have time to work on this again (postponed it
in favor of the 2.2beta1 release)

>>Additionally we have the possibility to redisgn e.g. forms and portal to use the
>>OSGi whiteboard pattern[1]. Using it makes extending them very simple as it
>>makes extensions very simple - you just have to provide a component that
>>implements a particular interface and it is automatically added as reference to
>>another component.
>>

> I don't want to rewrite blocks in order to use OSGi and I think one of
> our main goals for using OSGi is that this does not affect the way how I
> develop blocks which means it is totally transparent. So imho we need an
> OSGi-free way which works at development time.

You *can* use the mechanisms I explained but you *don't have to*. If you want to
benefit from from *particular* advantages that OSGi brings, you have to do
something.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc