cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Configuration issues
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 09:42:13 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>Do you want to solve this for our first release? If we add the "beta" postfix,
>>adding some solution in the future isn't a problem. If you agree, I would like
>>to postpone the discussion for the time after first beta release.
>
> I personally would like to have this in the first beta release, so we
> can see if this is the right solution and eventually change this in the
> next beta :)

I would like to have a first beta release in May. If we're fast enough, I don't
have a problem. I just wanted to say that finding a solution isn't a must.

>>@ your question: You probably don't like my answer but OSGi already solves this
>>kind of problem for us. Considering this I would only go for a very simple
>>solution so that user _can_ provide their own configuration files which are used
>>_instead_ of a block's configuration. For the usual needs (forms, template,
>>mail, apples, pdf block) this should be enough. Don't know about the portal
>>which is probably the use case you're thinking of.
>
> The portal is no problem as you have your own config file anyway. I'm
> more thinking of core or some blocks were you just add your own
> components or override some, like adding your own validator to cforms
> (which is no problem) or overriding the default email validator with
> your own one (which is a problem).
>
> How does OSGi solve this?

Since OSGi4 declarative services are supported. Think of Spring dependency
injection but considering interface/implementation relations. You can use the
OSGi configuratonAdmin service to change an injected component or a component's
properties.

Additionally we have the possibility to redisgn e.g. forms and portal to use the
OSGi whiteboard pattern[1]. Using it makes extending them very simple as it
makes extensions very simple - you just have to provide a component that
implements a particular interface and it is automatically added as reference to
another component.

[1] http://www.osgi.org/documents/osgi_technology/whiteboard.pdf

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc