cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Configuration issues
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 09:03:20 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I'm currently wondering what the best way to configure 2.2 from a user
> perspective is. We now have includes for xconfs and property
> replacements which is great.
> Now, each block comes with its own configuration files: all of them are
> stored in the jar and on deployment some of these files are extracted:
> so in the end there are roles files in the jar, xconf and property files
> on the WEB-INF folder.
> A user should never touch/change these files - so only way to customize
> the settings is through properties. This requires that each and every
> user configurable value must be replaced with a property! Now while this
> approach is fine it has at least two problems:
> 1. A huge number of properties which sooner or later will create a mess.
> 2. This works only as long as the user wants to use the same
> implementation for a component. Switching to an own implementation with
> an own configuration is not possible.
>
> Any idea on how to solve this?

Do you want to solve this for our first release? If we add the "beta" postfix,
adding some solution in the future isn't a problem. If you agree, I would like
to postpone the discussion for the time after first beta release.

@ your question: You probably don't like my answer but OSGi already solves this
kind of problem for us. Considering this I would only go for a very simple
solution so that user _can_ provide their own configuration files which are used
_instead_ of a block's configuration. For the usual needs (forms, template,
mail, apples, pdf block) this should be enough. Don't know about the portal
which is probably the use case you're thinking of.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc