cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [2.2] Configuration issues
Date Tue, 16 May 2006 06:23:57 GMT
I'm currently wondering what the best way to configure 2.2 from a user
perspective is. We now have includes for xconfs and property
replacements which is great.
Now, each block comes with its own configuration files: all of them are
stored in the jar and on deployment some of these files are extracted:
so in the end there are roles files in the jar, xconf and property files
on the WEB-INF folder.
A user should never touch/change these files - so only way to customize
the settings is through properties. This requires that each and every
user configurable value must be replaced with a property! Now while this
approach is fine it has at least two problems:
1. A huge number of properties which sooner or later will create a mess.
2. This works only as long as the user wants to use the same
implementation for a component. Switching to an own implementation with
an own configuration is not possible.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de