cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying setup
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 18:44:40 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> I also get paid to do real work.  OSGi doesn't fit in those plans.  A
>> lot of other stuff in trunk does but I can't have it because a release
>> of trunk isn't going to happen in 2006.  My employer won't pay me to
>> work on stuff that they won't see in the next few months.  And there
>> is enough stuff in 2.1 that needs fixing to keep me busy for a long time.
>
> What exactly is stopping you from working on trunk to make the release
> happen?

People differ in terms of their freedom to work. Some people are
fortunate in that they have free time that they can contribute to
projects they believe in. Others aren't.

I myself have a young family, with another on the way, which pretty
effectively fills my non-work time. So, the only way I can get to work
on projects is to persuade my boss that it is a good idea, and do it on
work time.

And of course bosses tend not to favour their employees working on
speculative projects that _may_ give results, unless that is directly
related to the nature of their business.

I personally have had the opportunity to introduce Cocoon into my
current workplace, but, due to the additional complexity it would have
brought to play, have not been able to justify it. Thus, I have not been
in a position to contribute to Cocoon in terms of code for quite some time.

Personally, I am grateful that you and Daniel are free to do the work
that you are doing. If you get a sense of frustration from Ralph,
perhaps you can read that as the frustration that he himself doesn't
have the kind of free time to give to it that you do.

For Ralph to be able to contribute, he needs to be able to justify it.
If you could help him justify it, he may help sooner. Otherwise, he'll
just carry on waiting. Either, in the end, is just going to have to be fine.

But then, surely all of the above is obvious, no?

Regards, Upayavira