cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Simplifying setup
Date Mon, 01 May 2006 22:11:36 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler skrev:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> <snip rt/>
> I'm mostly fine with your proposed changes if you think that this helps
> Cocoon. In the end all changes that don't require to rewrite or change
> our current blocks are fine for me.

It will mean some changes for the portal block as it use the Cocoon
component and the same complicated setup as the the CocoonServlet.
Geting a component container that is setup by a servlet context listener
through the portlet context should work fine a simplify the portlet
setup as well.

> But I'm remaining very sceptical wrt to a 2.2 release in general. I
> think one of our main goals is currently out of focus: release early,
> release often. This has nothing to do with this RT specifically, I just
> wanted to use this thread as a reminder to focus on a release :)

My personal goal is to release a blocks based Cocoon. But if anyone want
to release something from trunk earlier, I'm fine with that. I just
don't see any activity in that direction.

The important differences between 2.1 and trunk is in the cocoon-core,
and as long as it is as complicated as it is today, only a few people
understand it well enough to be able to work on it. So refactorings that
make the core easier to understand and less monolithic will make it
easier for more people to get involved, which IMO should increase the
chance for a release.

/Daniel