cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Automatic releases
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 10:51:39 GMT
On Thursday 25 May 2006 04:06, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> But basically you're right that we have to clarify the situation in
> general. How shall we proceed to get an answer to the question of
> "unofficial" artifact releases? Is the pmc@cocoon in the position to decide
> such things itself our do we have to discuss this issue with board@apache?
> WDOT?

"Automatic releases" are not a possibility, for two main reasons;

 1. Resources ; Someone pointed out how many artifacts would be created (and
in fact Maven will generate a bunch more, such
as .pom, .sha1, .md5, .pom.md5, .pom.sha1. Someone else suggested that these
would only exist until the next release. That is also not an option. Maven
relies on the fact that any build will work 'forever', as old artifacts does
not disappear.

 2. Legal ; ALL releases from ASF MUST be under the oversight of the
responsible PMC. That means active insight and control of what is put into
the release, and vouching legally that this is a non-malicious artifact
suitable for consumption under a set of constraints. "Automatic releases"
bypasses such legal responsibility, and will be found unacceptable by the
Board and legal counsel.

The obvious solution to the "problem" is smaller components with independent
release cycles, but we know that since *years*...

Cheers
Niclas