cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] i18n Transformer: Support Multiple Languages in One Document
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:00:35 GMT
On 17.04.2006 14:30, Adrien Guillon wrote:
>     2)  Why use Java at all?  Would we take that much of a performance hit if
> we used straight XSLT?  We could just aggregate the language packs and use a
> stylesheet to process the i18n text nodes and substitute them.  A large
> dictionary would be a performance hit, unless we had some way to keep the
> XSLT stylesheet and parsed XML document resident in memory for whenever it's
> needed.

That's what we actually had in a former project, an XSLT-based i18n
transformer. It was much more flexible, but I don't know any numbers
about performance. But if caching is applied appropriately, it should
not be that bad.

Our solution had catalogue aggregation based on a pipeline (additional
flexibility, part one: you can aggregate arbitrary catalogues, not just
by locale). And the texts could be translated recursively (additionale
flexibility, part two) by applying the templates to i18n tags in the
catalogues.

Regards,

Jörg