cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: How is the cocoon object model set up?
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:19:34 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> I submitted bug COCOON-1816 because the cocoon object model was not
>> set up in a way that I expected.  It cost hours of lost productivity
>> only to find out I have to bounce my processing for a static page
>> (with a couple variable pieces) through a flowscript just to access
>> cocoon.request.  To me that is an example of something that can be
>> fixed to improve the perceived simplicity of the system.  It seems
>> unreasonable to require Flowscript first for a largely static
>> page--nothing has to be set up, I just need to get a bit of
>> information from the request object.
>>
>> I believe the cocoon object model is a great selling point--as long as
>> it is set up consistently and available to all sitemap components
>> without forcing one component to be executed before another.  Not all
>> problems require flowscript.
>>
>> Is the COM strictly tied to the flowscript engine?  Is there any way
>> we can safely and simply extract that out?
>

> yes, IIRC this is a problem of JXTemplate(Generator|Transformer) and
> should be solved by the backported template block. I'm sure that Leszek
> can tell us more about this.

I am sorry not to reply to the list for some weeks now. I am buried
under tons of work.

The backported template block effectively solves the problem described.
The main problem was the inconsistency between direct invocation from
sitemap ( request.something was only available ) and from flowscript (
cocoon.request.something available ).