cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Gianni <s.gia...@thebug.it>
Subject Re: The all embarassing presentation email :-)
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:36:40 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>A question: what language where these books written in: English or
>Italian? I'm always amazed to see kids learning to program right after
>learning to read. Computers weren't widespread when I was 7 (that was in
>1974) and I "only" started at 13, having already some english background.

Surprisingly it was in Italian. Then when i started Logo (a suggestion
from a friend of my father when i told him i was doing weird stuff with
basic on C64), I asked my father to buy a book on logo, but he took me a
book in english, since it was hard to understand it, I asked my father
to go back to the bookshop and take a "The same book on logo, but the
italian version", and he took me a book about Logo in italian, but
unfortunately for the "Italian version of Logo", where all commands were
translated ... "FW" was translated in "AV", "RT" in "DS" etc .. :)

My personal suggestion is to try to go for english, since it would
improve both english and technical skills at once, but since a foreign
language is often hard to approach, maybe starting with something simple
and "child-friendly" (like Logo was, today what?) in native language can
give the child the right interest and movivation to try an english book
later.

>Eh, welcome aboard Simone!

Thanks!

Simone