cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Gianni <s.gia...@thebug.it>
Subject AJAX and web testing
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:49:10 GMT
Hi All,
we recently moved to ajax in our latest project. We use Selenium for web
tests. After the move we had a lot of problems with Selenium. This is
what happens :
- Selenium executes a SelectAndWait (or clickAndWait)
- It then waits for a page reload
- It detects a page reload using an onload on the test iframe.
- Obviously, ajax does not reload the page, so Selenium waits for ever.

The only relevant document i've found about this matter on the internet
(
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/wa-selenium-ajax/index.html
) uses the worse solution : pauses 500 ms after a click.

We currently modified selenium to achieve a different behaviour : the
cocoon forms _handleBrowserUpdate and _continue are overridden at run
time with two custom functions that triggers Selenium page reloaded
event after a _handleBrowserUpdate unless a continue has been received.

This solution works correctly, but it's a hack. IMMO we should find a
better solution for executing webtests on a cocoon ajax enabled site ...
just some random thoughts :

- Support and document how to use Dojo AOP to wrap a method around
cocoon ajax calls (I tried this one but didn't managed to make it work).
- Provide some "classic" javascript hooks inside the cocoon ajax code,
so that implementing some jsavascript functions a web test suite can be
notified when an ajax transaction is started and ended.
- If there is a way of doing this not touching the cocoon ajax code (i
was thinking about instrumenting/intercepting the
dojo.hostenv.getXmlhttpObject()) we should document it somewhere.

I've already opened a bug for this problem on Selenium Jira, and could
probably submit a solution if we find a way to make it "dojo based" and
not that cocoon specific as the one I used.

Simone

P.S. FYI this is the code I added to selenium-browserbot.js if anybody
need it; it's an untidy solution, but works until we find a better one.

in selenium-browserbot.js, method BrowserBot.prototype.getCurrentPage =
function(), added :

        if (this.frame.contentWindow.dojo) {
            var contentWindow = this.frame.contentWindow;
            var cocoonProto =
contentWindow..cocoon.forms.CFormsForm.prototype;
            if (cocoonProto._oldHandleBrowserUpdate == undefined) {
                cocoonProto._oldHandleBrowserUpdate =
cocoonProto._handleBrowserUpdate;
                cocoonProto._oldContinue = cocoonProto._continue;
            }
            var widget =
contentWindow.dojo.widget.getWidgetById('CFormsForm_0');
            if (widget != null) {
                widget.bot = this;
                widget._handleBrowserUpdate = function (request) {
                    this.bot.continued = false;
                    this._oldHandleBrowserUpdate(request);
                    this.bot._handleDojoBrowserUpdate();
                }
                widget._continue = function () {
                    this._oldContinue();
                    this.bot.continued = true;
                }
            }
        }

and soon after a new function :

BrowserBot.prototype._handleDojoBrowserUpdate = function() {
    if (!this.continued) this.recordPageLoad();
}

--
Simone Gianni