cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: What's going on with gump?
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:31:14 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

>Ralph Goers wrote:
>

>>Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>

>>>yes, according to the mails above sometime in the future it will work.
>>>
>>>                                   - o -
>>>
>>>If somebody has time to fix gump.xml so that it builds at least
>>>cocoon-core it would be a good idea. If not, we should simply ask the
>>>Gump folks to remove the descriptor.
>>>
>>>WDOT?
>>>

>>Everytime gump breaks I find myself wondering why anybody cares?  Can
>>someone educate me on what is better about gump then us running Continuum?
>>

>Firstly, I am no expert on Gump.
>
>You can see Gump as more of a social thing - it not just related to our
>own pretty little project - it builds _everything_. It checks out trunk
>on a huge number of projects and builds them, thus ensuring that all
>projects continue to work together in their trunk versions. So think of
>it as one huge Continuum for _all_ Apache software and beyond, not just
>for Cocoon.
>
>As such, it will tell us if, for some reason, Cocoon wouldn't compile on
>Kaffe, or if one of our dependencies changed its interface and that
>broke our code.

How can that work?  We specify the versions in the pom.xml. It will just
keep rebuilding the same thing until the pom is changed.  I guess I'm
not sure how that even worked in the old system since we had all the jar
files in our own repository.

>Cocoon is a fantastic project for the Gump people, because we have soooo
>many dependencies. If Cocoon builds, that means all of its dependencies,
>and their dependencies, etc, all built too, which as I understand it
>doesn't happen that often :-)

See the above comment. How does that happen if we still have the old
version?

>So, yes, it is a valuable resource, but on a broader scale than just our
>own project.
>
>Regards, Upayavira

Thanks.  I sort of knew all that, but what I guess I'm missing is how it
actually does what you are saying it does.  With a maven2 build how do
they "force" you to pick up the latest version (actually - I already
know the answer to that since I have a Jira bug opened on Maven 2 to do
just that. The answer is, you can't).

Ralph