cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: What's going on with gump?
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:41:04 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>> yes, according to the mails above sometime in the future it will work.
>>
>>                                    - o -
>>
>> If somebody has time to fix gump.xml so that it builds at least
>> cocoon-core it would be a good idea. If not, we should simply ask the
>> Gump folks to remove the descriptor.
>>
>> WDOT?
>>
> Everytime gump breaks I find myself wondering why anybody cares?  Can
> someone educate me on what is better about gump then us running Continuum?

Firstly, I am no expert on Gump.

You can see Gump as more of a social thing - it not just related to our
own pretty little project - it builds _everything_. It checks out trunk
on a huge number of projects and builds them, thus ensuring that all
projects continue to work together in their trunk versions. So think of
it as one huge Continuum for _all_ Apache software and beyond, not just
for Cocoon.

As such, it will tell us if, for some reason, Cocoon wouldn't compile on
Kaffe, or if one of our dependencies changed its interface and that
broke our code.

Cocoon is a fantastic project for the Gump people, because we have soooo
many dependencies. If Cocoon builds, that means all of its dependencies,
and their dependencies, etc, all built too, which as I understand it
doesn't happen that often :-)

So, yes, it is a valuable resource, but on a broader scale than just our
own project.

Regards, Upayavira