cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Don Brown" <donald.br...@gmail.com>
Subject [RT] Mini-Cocoon
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:13:48 GMT
For the next generation of Struts Action Framework, we have merged with
WebWork to build the new version on its solid foundation. One of its
powerful features are its Interceptors, which act like Servlet filters
allowing you to define the framework workflow for the Action on either a
per-action or per-package basis.  This lets you fully separate the concerns
of your framework logic.

I've been toying with the idea of bringing the Interceptor concept to the
view layer, and with XHTML becoming more and more prevalent, I think it is
ripe to bring the power of the Cocoon pipline to post-page processing.  I'd
like a user to be able to specify an interceptor stack (pipeline) on a
per-action or per-package basis.  This would be similar to the popular
Sitemesh project, but more powerful has any page minipulation is possible.

Anyways, I bring this up here because it would require a SAX-based XML
pipeline implementation and I immedately think of Cocoon.  However, the
requirements for such a feature would be:
 - We only need transformers and serializers, the framework would handle the
generation (implicitly a SAX parser generator would be used to process the
response's outputstream)
 - Ideally no additional dependencies
 - The pipeline impl should be small, and focused
 - Very little to no additional configuration for the user.  A set of
transformers and serializers would be defined somewhere, and stacks, or
statically defined pipelines.  No selectors, matchers, or other sitemap
capabilies would be needed.

We could write our own, but part of the vision of Struts Action 2 is to
bring some level of unification to the Java web development space, and I'd
like to include Cocoon in the discussion.  I have a Cocoon pipeline extract
project, Simple XML Pipelines[1], we could use, but I'd rather use an
"official" Cocoon artifact to strengthen the ties of the two projects and
leverage the years of experience and knowledge of the Cocoon community.  My
pipelines project could be donated, if necessary, to seed the work.

This new Struts Action 2 feature hasn't been discussed, much less accepted
by the project, still in its infancy, but I wanted to first float the idea
to see if the Cocoon community would be interested in developing such a
"mini-Cocoon".  I've found several uses of my stripped down Pipeline project
in areas like multi-versioned SOAP services support and portal
URL-rewriting, so I think it would be of interest outside Struts.

Look forward to the feedback,

Don

[1] https://www.twdata.org/projects/pipeline