cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: setting up a Cocoon m2 repo mirror (was Re: [RT] a simple release plan)
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:00:43 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>> What is being suggested is not that we mirror the whole of ibiblio, we
>> would only mirror the libraries that are currently hosted on cvs.a.o.
>
> ... You can point your pom to use the cvs.a.o directly.

What do you mean here?

>> - the dependency is not available on the central m2 repo (the number of
>> these libs is slowly declining due to better m2 acceptance)
>
> If it is not on the central repo, it is a non-released version and
> questionable that anyone should depend on it.

best practice #1

>> - the dependency is available, but has a dodgy pom making it difficult
>> to benefit from m2 features (eg transitive dependencies).
>
> Since you will need to manually clean this up here, perhaps sending the file
> over to the Maven peeps is collectively a better idea.

best practice #2, we will do this ofcourse.

>> - we're using a snapshot dependency that is not hosted anywhere else
>> (remember the central repo only allows _released_ versions)
>
> IMHO, a questionable practice. (see below)

indeed it is.

>> Remember that this mirror would become only a *temporary* solution for
>> any dependend library that has not fully mavenized yet.
>
> Now think again; After you have done this, and decommissioned the temporary
> solution, you are in a position of a non-working slot in time for that
> source. This goes both for SNAPSHOTs (which are actively being removed from
> their temporary storage spaces) and temporary artifact hosts.

I'll classify this as a "worry about it later". We haven't even released
anything so this is no time to worry about 100% reproducible builds.

I just want to make the maven build to reliably work using the quickest
way possible. Anything that involves "send something to someone else and
wait until..." is just not working for us at the moment.

Regards
Jorg