cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: setting up a Cocoon m2 repo mirror (was Re: [RT] a simple release plan)
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:32:30 GMT

Andrew Savory wrote:
>> We (Luminas/SourceSense) are offering. Do you know what sort of
>> requirements in terms of bandwidth and server space? We have capacity
>> to spare, and are happy to donate it.

Thanks, see below.

Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> Excuse me, but can someone refresh my memory on why we went down the
> Maven way? I thought it was to get rid of maintaining all those "lib" in
> our SVN, and now someone is telling me that we actually should maintain
> a full maven mirror, but tweaked because we don't like theirs?

My mistake, i should've explained things a bit more.

What is being suggested is not that we mirror the whole of ibiblio, we
would only mirror the libraries that are currently hosted on cvs.a.o.

There are various reasons why we decided to host some of our
dependencies there:

- the dependency is not available on the central m2 repo (the number of
these libs is slowly declining due to better m2 acceptance)
- the dependency is available, but has a dodgy pom making it difficult
to benefit from m2 features (eg transitive dependencies).
- we're using a snapshot dependency that is not hosted anywhere else
(remember the central repo only allows _released_ versions)

Remember that this mirror would become only a *temporary* solution for
any dependend library that has not fully mavenized yet. We should still
practice maven evangelism and encourage the library owners to mavenize
and release code to the central repo.

I'll compile a report of what we're currently pulling from cvs.a.o.,
this should make it easier to estimate required bandwidth.

In any case I will speak to Brett or Jason to see how they feel about this.

Hope this clears things up a bit,
Jorg