cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <>
Subject Re: [RT] OSGi based blocks
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:36:49 GMT
On 3/15/06, Upayavira <> wrote:

> >> I would like to see blocks and Cocoon 2.1.X move along in parallel, and
> >> as soon as blocks are sufficiently mature and stable, they merge. The
> >> current state of affairs with a tiny minority working on blocks (however
> >> cool) and nothing else happening is far from healthy.
> >>

> > Perhaps, but from what I understand nothing is really stopping you
> > from working on anything else?
> 2.1 is a branch - so innovation shouldn't really happen there. Trunk I
> don't understand, and is too unstable (not a negative, just a fact[1])
> for me to find time to understand it. So I don't see quite what I could
> work on. And I suspect the case is the same for others too.
> Upayavira
> [1] Some people have time and resources to give to working with that
> level of instability. Others need something relatively stable to work on
> incrementally within their work. I see no problem with either approach,
> I just want us to bring the latter back into play in our community.

Sure, I understand. But that's really my point: Cocoon has always
taken a bit of learning curve.  The fact that trunk is now new, and
unusual is a hump for many people, but if Cocoon is every going to
really move forward then people should either be willing to wait, or
climb the learning curve.

Yes, you loose a little bit from the people that don't have the time
or energy to climb the curve early in the process.  However, IMO you
loose even more if there are two main branches of Cocoon to focus on

Peter Hunsberger

View raw message