cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The environment abstraction, part II
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:41:02 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>I can't speak for Daniel, but my idea/suggestion was to forget about the
>>different environments and let Cocoon always run in a servlet container.
>>The CLI would then be kind of a http client which starts up jetty and
>>then generates the site using http requests. This would simplify some
>>things in Cocoon, the question is if this would make the life of Forrest
>>too hard?
>

> Thanks to you all for the followup. I don't have a
> ready answer yet. Will make sure that the other
> Forrest people are aware.

Which David has done, with a post to the Forrest list - you may see a
few of us post now.

I've reviewed this thread, in my opinion and *only* from a Forrest
perspective I feel it is unimportant how we generate the static site
from Forrest. To be honest, I don't really care if we end up bundling a
building/bundling a small crawler along the lines of wget in order to do
the static generation (although it is great we won't need to).

It looks to me like the proposals here will make life inside Cocoon much
easier. This will, undoubtedly, have a knock on effect for projects like
Forrest. I'm sure we will have to go through a period of pain before
reaping the rewards - but I believe it will be worth it.

---

Speaking in a from a wider perspective. I would ask one important
question "how many other users, besides Forrest, make heavy use of the
CLI and would they be damaged by this proposal?"

I would *guess* this is a low number since Cocoon is a *web* framework.

Ross