cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: How is the cocoon object model set up?
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:58:04 GMT
Reinhard Poetz skrev:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>> I submitted bug COCOON-1816 because the cocoon object model was not
>> set up in a way that I expected.  It cost hours of lost productivity
>> only to find out I have to bounce my processing for a static page
>> (with a couple variable pieces) through a flowscript just to access
>> cocoon.request.  To me that is an example of something that can be
>> fixed to improve the perceived simplicity of the system.  It seems
>> unreasonable to require Flowscript first for a largely static
>> page--nothing has to be set up, I just need to get a bit of
>> information from the request object.
>>
>> I believe the cocoon object model is a great selling point--as long
>> as it is set up consistently and available to all sitemap components
>> without forcing one component to be executed before another.  Not all
>> problems require flowscript.
>>
>> Is the COM strictly tied to the flowscript engine?  Is there any way
>> we can safely and simply extract that out?
>
> yes, IIRC this is a problem of JXTemplate(Generator|Transformer) and
> should be solved by the backported template block. I'm sure that
> Leszek can tell us more about this.

We also had some discussions about unifying the environment model some
years ago
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110963086900150&w=2.
And about "accessors"
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/cocoon-template/cocoon-template-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/accessor/

that, compared to input modules separates the concerns of accessing an
environment object and applying e.g. JXPath on it.

But ths work was never finished so there is still a need for a more
unified way to access "environment" information in Cocoon.

/Daniel