cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CForms and Portlets - making form ids dynamic
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:39:21 GMT
Jean-Baptiste Quenot schrieb:
> * Carsten Ziegeler:
>
>> While   cforms   is   excellent  for   developing   form   based
>> applications, it has some (minor)  problems if Cocoon is used in
>> a portal environment, being it  the Cocoon portal or Cocoon used
>> as a JSR 168 portlet in a different portal container.
>
> I would say  that developing CForms together with  Portal does not
> exhibit *minor* problems, I would rather say it's a major PITA!
>
> Why?  Because most users develop CForms together with FlowScript's
> continuations.  And this exposes several problems:
>
> 1) if you have several forms on your page, when you post a form,
>    all forms believe they are being continued leading to an
>    exception being thrown
>
> 2) if you post directly to your FlowScript's pipeline, there's no
>    way to display the portal
>
> 3) the FlowScript is not the controller, leading to awkward
>    situations like not being able to issue a redirection (may be
>    a general issue with portals)
>
> It's possible to circumvent problem 1) by using CachingURICoplets
> and by invalidating the cache of the target coplet upon form
> submission.
>
> WDYT?  IMO your current work is very valuable because it would
> allow better integration between portal and forms.  However, I'm a
> bit disappointed because badly mixing and hacking portal and
> CForms is the only way we had to go for years!  I wish this random
> id feature was there since the beginning.

:) All I'm asking for right now is to have a dynamic id on the form.
Nothing more and nothing less.
We are using cforms and the portal in several projects without the
problems. We are using the CachingURICoplet and some other components
and can do things like redirects etc. In the end the developer of the
forms does not have to know about the portal environment - the only
thing is this id.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/