cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Set min JVM to 1.4 after 2.1.9?
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:30:46 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko escribió:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> WDYT?
>
> I agree with all points, but personally I'd prefer to release 2.2
> (defined as: 2.1 + new core + mvn monolithic build) and stop
> maintenance of 2.1 branch. Don't you think this will be a better
> alternative? :)
While I understand the importance of the cocoon versioning system. I
don't see the point to have a new "major" release right now. I also
understand Cocoon 2.1 is a settled version. A version that we can keep
improving until the next major version hit the streets.

For this reasons, I prefer to wait for 2.2. IMHO, it's important for us
to include osgi support and real blocks in 2.2. It will make a huge
difference. I am sorry for being useful in this effort. As many of us
(Cocoon committers), I have been very busy in own things for few months.

Why waste our few resources creating a mvn monolithic build just for few
weeks? Do we eagerly need a new version? If so, we should stabilize 2.2
and release an "alpha" of the current trunk as is.

BTW,  these days, I feel like cocoon is eagerly releasing just because a
boss somewhere needs a "tagged" versioned and released code before
starting or launching his internal project. Are we forced to third-party
schedule? Why not the opposite? Whatever..... I want to state this was
exactly the reasons why I didn't vote for the 2.1.8 release [1]. I
accept it is my fault for not externalizing my concern at the right
moment. But I think we need to think about this. Or is this only me? We
need a plan and we need to try to follow the plan.

Also, if we release 2.2 as you suggest How long will be the 2.2 life?
IMHO, very short. Makes sense at all?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113144742200003