cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Voting on releases?
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:53:11 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> My 2 cents.  The paragraph below my signature is from
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html. I don't see anything here
> that indicates exactly when the vote should be taken.  Common sense
> might tell you that you should only vote after the package has been
> built and tested.  As long as I've been here votes seem to be taken to
> build the package and lazy consensus is used to approve the package -
> i.e. the formal release is delayed only if errors occur during testing.
> Our assumption is that you are frequently building and testing the
> current SVN so the formal release package shouldn't be a whole lot
> different.
>
> It would be rather pointless for the release manager to build a package
> and then start a vote only to then be told that a bunch of stuff needs
> to be fixed.

Right :)

Actually, we are performing two votes for a release: first one to set
the release date. This gives every committer the chance to be "on board"
for this release and makes sure that preparing the release is not a
waste of time.
Then the second vote will happen for the actual release - usually I
start the vote one day before the release day and people vote then if
the current revision will be the release. This ensures that the "real"
vote is actually about the real release (code).

And these votes do not take that much time for us committers; it's just
kind of a ping and hopefully reveals who's supporting the release :)

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/