cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Voting on releases?
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:27:42 GMT
My 2 cents.  The paragraph below my signature is from
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html. I don't see anything here
that indicates exactly when the vote should be taken.  Common sense
might tell you that you should only vote after the package has been
built and tested.  As long as I've been here votes seem to be taken to
build the package and lazy consensus is used to approve the package -
i.e. the formal release is delayed only if errors occur during testing.
Our assumption is that you are frequently building and testing the
current SVN so the formal release package shouldn't be a whole lot
different.

It would be rather pointless for the release manager to build a package
and then start a vote only to then be told that a bunch of stuff needs
to be fixed.

Ralph

        Votes on Package Releases

Votes on whether a package is ready to be released follow a format
similar to majority approval
<http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#MajorityApproval> --
except that the decision is officially determined solely by whether at
least three +1 votes were registered. *Releases may not be vetoed.*
Generally the community will table the vote to release if anyone
identifies serious problems, but in most cases the ultimate decision,
once three or more positive votes have been garnered, lies with the
individual serving as release manager. The specifics of the process may
vary from project to project, but the 'minimum of three +1 votes' rule
is universal.