cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Voting on releases?
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:59:05 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

>Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>

>>Le 21 mars 06 à 18:42, Jean-Baptiste Quenot a écrit :
>>

>>>...Is there a  rule requiring new releases to be  first approved by a
>>>vote?...
>>>

>>Maybe not, but we've been doing it this way for about 25 years and it
>>works ;-)
>>
>>Seriously, making sure we agree on release plans (code freeze dates
>>etc.) is a Good Thing - I've seen several projects arguing or
>>disagreeing on releases, so it's certainly good to be a bit careful and
>>to make sure everyone is on the same page.
>>
>>It doesn't cost much and there are at least  "social" benefits.
>>
>>So, +1 for voting on release plans ;-)
>>

>A release is the primary output of a PMC on behalf of the ASF. You could
>say that producing releases is what a project exists for. So releases
>_can not_ be done without a vote, with PMC member's votes being the
>binding ones. And probably new releases, once done, should be noted to
>the board in a quarterly board report.
>
>There you go. That's the Bureaucracy of it.

Or in another way, requesting for a formal approval pings all
committers. Maybe we oversaw an important issue and the vote will ring
the bell for the person knowing that something is still missing. Also,
doing the whole releasing process just to be stopped be an issue is a
wasted effort after all. For this reason, the release manager (Carsten)
prefers to do a formal vote before before starting the whole releasing
process. I think it is a good practice. :-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.